Annual Reporting of Work-Related Injury and Illness Data to Federal OSHA

The Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MNOSHA) has adopted the federal rule requiring that all high-hazard Minnesota industries annually report work-related injury and illness data in electronic format to federal OSHA. The following are answers to common questions about this rule.

When is this effective?

It took effect on July 1, 2018.

What employers does this affect?

All high-hazard Minnesota industries with 20 or more employees are now required to electronically submit work-related injury and illness data to federal OSHA.

How do I determine how many employees we have?

When counting employees, take into account all who are compensated, including seasonal, part-time, and temporary employees, and volunteers.

What do I submit if I have 10 or fewer employees?

You are not required to maintain or submit any OSHA forms documenting work-related injuries and illnesses. You are, however, required to report fatalities, hospitalizations, and incidents involving amputation or loss of an eye.

What do I submit if I have 11-19 employees?

You are required to keep work-related injury and illness records and post OSHA Form 300A, but you do not need to submit this information to OSHA.

What do I submit if I have 20-249 employees?

You are required annually to submit OSHA Form 300A electronically. This is the same form that’s posted in your city and/or utility offices from Feb. 1 through April 30.

What do I submit if I have more than 250 employees?

Except for 2017, you are required annually to submit OSHA forms 300, 300A, and 301 electronically. For the 2017 reporting period, you only need to submit 300A summary data.

How do I submit records electronically?

First, check who in your organization is responsible for OSHA oversight and/or injury records. That person will likely be the one to create an account and submit injury and illness data annually.

Ensure you have a copy of the most recent year’s completed 300A Form(s) in front of you (and 300 and 301 Forms if you have 250 or more employees).

Go to federal OSHA’s Injury Tracking Application (ITA) to create an account, an establishment, and enter data. A few pointers:

  • Review the ITA Job Aids to get instructions (scroll to the bottom of the page).
  • While creating an establishment, the system will ask for your North American Industrial Classification (NAIC) code. Choose code 921190, Other General Government Support. When asked if you are a public-sector entity, select Yes—Local Government.
  • You can either manually enter data into a web form, upload a CSV file to process single or multiple establishments at the same time, or transmit data electronically via an application programming interface.

Do I always have to submit records on July 1?

For 2018 the reporting date is July 1, but in 2019 and beyond, the date is March 2 of the year after the calendar year covered by the form(s).

Still have questions?

Contact your League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust loss control consultant. If you’re unsure who that is, contact Loss Control Field Services Manager Joel Muller at (651) 215-4079 or