- Minnesota Cities & The League
- Governing & Managing
- Risk Management
- Legislative Action Center
- Training & Conferences
The League's codification services are provided in cooperation with American Legal Publishing Corporation (ALP)—one of the nation's largest producers of city codes. More than 250 Minnesota cities currently utilize LMC city codes. We have hundreds of sample ordinances on a large variety of topics that may be included in your city’s code.
Steps in the Codification Process
1. LMC Special Counsel Duke Addicks coordinates the development of a customized code or the updating of an existing code. Smaller cities can receive assistance in adopting the Minnesota Basic Code and tailoring it to local needs.
2. ALP performs the editorial and publishing aspects of the codification process. ALP provides a quick turnaround, numerous format options, code maintenance services, computerized search programs, and can host your city’s code on the ALP web site for immediate access through your city web site or online.
3. An ALP attorney, under Duke’s supervision, performs a comprehensive legal review on each customized code, updated code, and supplemented basic code, including a written legal analysis based on state and federal laws, rules, and court decisions.
The Minnesota Basic Code (MBC)
To learn more, watch the League's five-minute MBC video (see the link at right).
More than 150 Minnesota Cities have adopted an LMC customized code. The League’s unique method of codifying your city’s ordinances, or updating your existing city code, focuses on comprehensive editorial and legal assistance. We attempt to develop a customized code based on the latest federal and state laws, rules, and court decisions.
Once customized, city codes can easily be kept current. Ordinances enacted after a code is adopted can be incorporated into the code on an annual or more frequent basis. Periodic legal and editorial reviews ensure provisions are always lawful and enforceable.
Customized city codes are provided on disk and are edited for grammar, consistency, and clarity. They are organized in an easy-to-use, searchable format of chapters and sections. A comprehensive index is also included.
Updating Existing Codes
We can also update existing codes, no matter who prepared them. Any ordinances enacted since the code was adopted will be included in the update. We make sure the existing code and any ordinances enacted after the existing code was adopted are brought up to date through our comprehensive editorial and legal review.
LMC Codification Blog
The League has a Codification Blog that is updated regularly. This is a good place to learn more about developing city codes and ordinances.
Want to sign up for customized codification of your ordinances? Questions about adopting the Minnesota Basic Code? League staff can provide the information you need.
Contact Duke Addicks
(651) 281-1221 or (800) 925-1122
To obtain a proposal on a customized code for your city:
Contact Ray Bollhauer
Director of Customer Service
American Legal Publishing Corporation
The League's Minnesota Basic Code offers an easier way for cities to keep their ordinances up to date and in compliance with state law.