Charter Assistance Program
If you're a home rule charter city, or a statutory city considering adopting the home rule form of government, our Charter Assistance Program provides the guidance you need.
This program provides viewpoint-neutral information and analysis, and connects you with other Minnesota charter cities and national organizations for perspectives and advice on charter-related policy issues.
- Charter-related materials
The League has developed and collected sample and model charters, sample ordinances, and background on charters and surveys.
- General advice
Guidance is available on the following topics:
- General powers of a home rule charter city;
- Advantages and disadvantages of a home rule charter;
- Essentials of a good home rule charter;
- Adopting and amending a home rule charter; and
- Functions of a charter commission.
- Analysis and input
Review and comment on an existing charter, charter draft, or amendment.
Presentations from League staff on various forms of government, charter drafting procedures, and major policy problems.
Fees for Charter Assistance
- No charge for pre-prepared materials on home rule charters and answers to simple questions.
- No charge for consultation meetings on general charter topics, drafting procedures or policy issues.
- No charge for presentations.
- $75 per hour for examination and commentary on an existing charter, draft charter, or amendments.